Caring, Friendly and Safe…
Dear Parents, Caregivers and Guardians,
CSL reports – other than the classes participating in the pilot project, the CSL reports were distributed on Friday. If you have any questions about your child’s progress in learning please contact the teacher. On April 25th, we have our celebration of learning beginning at 2 in the gym. It will be an opportunity to see and hear about student learning in our school and to recognize our school’s 60th birthday!
3 on 3 Jamboree Basketball at DMS – the students had a wonderful time at the basketball Jamboree last Friday. Big thanks to Mr. Parker, Mr. Dion and Ms. Savage for your sponsoring and coaching of our students. The 3 on 3 program has been in effect for a few years and it is a wonderful way for grade 5/6 students to hone and develop their basketball skills.
Don’t forget! – Clocks move ahead one hour early Sunday morning at 2 am.
Talent show – after spring break the talent show tryouts begin and the week after is the talent show. The planning committee composed of students and teachers will be on Wednesday at lunch in Mrs. Mackenzie’s office. Thank you to Mr. Dion, Ms. Nagowska and ??? (sorry I forget the third person….) for helping out with the talent show. A number of students from Mr. Castrillo’s class are keen to assist in the tryouts and planning of the show. Guidelines for the tryouts will be included in next week’s email.
Sign in procedures: Just a reminder that sign in procedures are in effect. Drop off and pick up of students by parents and caregivers at the beginning and end of the day are exempt. Please encourage parents to wait at the front of the school as opposed to coming to the classroom. Again exceptions can be made for K/1 students. In the future if you see an individual walking down the hallway during the day and if you feel comfortable please remind the individual to check with the office. If you do not feel comfortable approaching the individual then please let the office know and we will deal with the situation.
BOKS: To our BOKS participants: Please check with the office if there are any spaces available to register your child for the BOKS program. The Breakfast program has asked that BOKS students bring an extra snack during BOKS days on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Breakfast program has found that more students attend the breakfast program on the BOKS days and the spike in food consumption on those days taxes the program. We appreciate your support on this matter. Thank you.
What’s Happening in the Library
- Please check out our beautiful and functional tables and chairs funded by the PAC. Our library is becoming a functional place to read, explore, play and engage in learning! Thank you to Raelene, Paula and the PAC for creating a wonderful space for our student and other school and community members.
- The Reading Link Challenge Update! The grade 4-6 students who have opted to participate will now have until AFTER spring break to complete their reading of the novels! An exact date for the school competition will be coming soon. The titles this year are: Masterpiece, Fish in a Tree, The Mask that Sang, After Peaches, Phineas L. MacGuire Erupts, and The Incredible Twisting Arm. READ READ READ!
The weather is slowly changing and before you know it will be time to get out the sunscreen!
What’s happening this week – March 12th – 16th
Monday, March 12th:
Tuesday, March 13th:
- BOKS – 8:00 – 8:50 am
- Learning For Life – UBC is visiting classes participating in the study
Wednesday, March 14th:
- Talent show planning meeting at lunch in Mrs. Mackenzie’s office
- Earth quake drill at 2:45
Thursday, March 15th:
- BOKS 8:00 – 8:50
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters in the library at 2:00 pm
- PAC meeting at 6 pm in the library (everyone is welcomedand babysitting provided)
Friday, March 16th:
- Glee club at lunch
- Spirit day – Wear Green Day!
- Last day before spring break – see you on Tuesday, April 2nd!
What’s Happening the Week After and Beyond
Monday, April 2nd
- School not in session – Easter Monday
Tuesday, April 3rd
- First day back from spring break
Wednesday, April 4th
- Staff meeting at 3:15
Thursday, April 5th
- Talent Show tryouts ( more details in email before return to school after spring break)
Friday, April 6th
- Talent Show Tryouts
Enjoy the week,
Rose Mackenzie – Principal